Vegan Carrot Bread
A wholegrain and delicious carrot bread studded with raisins and cashews and scented with cardamom. It's good enough for dessert, but you should totally eat it for breakfast.
Servings: 24 slices (2 loaves)
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cardamom (run the whole pods-- about 10-- in a coffee grinder with a tablespoon of the sugar to get a fine grind)
- 1 cup raw cashews (chopped into large pieces)
- 3 tablespoon flaxmeal (whisk with 9 tablespoon water to make two flax eggs. If scaling the recipe up or down be sure to adjust the quantity of water accordingly.)
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 ¼ cups carrots (grated. Measure after grating)
- ¼ cup golden raisins (optional)
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bown.
In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
Add the wet mixture to the dry, with a spatula or a whisk, using ⅓rd of the flour at a time. You want a lumpy but well-integrated batter. Do not overmix because you don't want to develop the gluten in the flour.
Grease and flour two standard-size loaf pans.
Divide the batter equally between the two and smooth down the top.
Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack about 15 minutes, then slide a knife around the edges to unmold. Place right-side-up on a rack to cool
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 2011IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg