Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With A Lemon Glaze
This juicy, delicious, utterly lemony Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake will make you fall in love. On top goes a scrumptious lemon glaze.
Servings: 16 slices
For Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake
- 2 ⅔ cup cake flour (If you don't have cake flour, all-purpose would be okay but replace 5 tablespoon of the all-purpose flour with cornstarch. You can also make this with whole-wheat pastry flour but the crumb will be thicker.)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups vegan cane sugar (or turbinado sugar)
- 1 ¾ cup almond milk (or any nondairy milk)
- 2 teaspoon vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice (from freshly squeezed lemons)
- ¼ cup poppy seeds (lightly toasted in a skillet. Do this over medium heat and stir frequently. It should take no more than five minutes.)
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan butter (2 sticks. Butter should be at room temperature)
For the lemon glaze
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
Make the lemon poppyseed bundt cake
Whisk the nondairy milk and vinegar and set aside for five minutes.
Cream together the sugar and "butter" in a stand mixer or hand mixer fitted with a wisk, until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl a couple of times during the mixing.
Mix the lemon juice, zest, vanilla extract and milk-vinegar mixture.
Sift into a bowl the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
Add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture in three batches, alternating with the almond milk mixture. Mix for 20 seconds after each addition, then scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything's integrated.
Add the poppy seeds and mix with a spatula to disperse them evenly through the batter.
Oil and flour a bundt cake pan. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out dry. Let the cake stand in the bundt pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold. This cake unmolds easily, but if you need help run a knife lightly and carefully around the edges.
Make the lemon glaze
With a wisk, mix the lemon juice and sugar.
With a toothpick, make a few holes in the warm cake and then paint the glaze onto the cake using a pastry brush. You can even just pour it on. Add some lemon zest on top, if desired.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 95mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 540IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg