These methi pakoras are made of chickpea flour flavored with spices and fresh, green fenugreek leaves.
- 1 bunch methi leaves , washed and finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion , chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup besan (chickpea flour)
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds , slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon amchoor (mango powder), optional
- Salt to taste
- Water to make a batter
- Oil for deep frying
Place all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and then add enough water to make a thick batter that clumps together.
Heat the oil in a cast-iron pan or kadhai or other frying pan. You want it to get to a point where the batter bubbles and rises immediately when dropped in the oil. If you have a frying thermometer, this should be around 350 degrees. Food fried at this temperature absorbs almost no oil.
Drop small lumps of the batter into the oil and fry each side until golden-brown and really crispy.