Coconut Muffins With An Orange Glaze
Soft, fluffy vegan coconut muffins with the addictive combination of coconut flakes and orange.
Servings: 12 muffins
For the coconut muffins
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp egg replacer powder (or tapioca starch)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup agave nectar (use maple syrup or regular sugar if you don’t have this)
- Zest of 1 orange (set aside 2 tsp or so for the orange glaze)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (the original recipe recommends safflower)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar (powdered sugar)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
Make the coconut muffins
In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, dissolve the egg replacer with the orange juice. Add the agave nectar, orange zest, oil and water
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until they are just combined. Do not overmix. Add the coconut and mix in.
Greas a 12-cup muffin tin and divide the batter equally between the cups.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Place on a rack to cool. Unmold after 10 minutes and continue to cool the muffins.
Make the glaze
Heat the orange juice in a small saucepan until it begins to boil.
Add the powdered sugar and zest and turn off the heat. Whisk together well.
Pour over the cooled or barely-warm muffins.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 44IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg