Velvety Herbed Pumpkin
A delicious, easy velvet-textured dish of pumpkin with sage is the perfect side at your Thanksgiving table or any time.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups pumpkin (cut in ½ inch cubes)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 green chili peppers (like serrano or jalapeno, finely chopped. Use less if you like less heat, or take out the seeds and ribs)
- 7-8 sage leaves (sage is a powerful herb, so use less if that's your preference)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (finely chopped. Can use mint instead)
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and stir-fry until they just start to brown.
Add the garlic, chili peppers, sage and cilantro and stir for a few seconds. Now add the pumpkin cubes.
Add ¼ cup of water or vegetable stock and when the water begins to simmer, turn the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the pumpkin cook, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until it is buttery-soft and tender. Mash some of the pumpkins, if you like, for more texture.
Add salt and sugar and turn off the heat. Serve hot with rotis or as a side dish with rice and a spicy curry.
Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Potassium: 347mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 7421IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg