Bell Peppers Stuffed With Brown Rice
For this tasty vegan dish, multicolored bell peppers are stuffed with a savory filling of rice, potatoes and onions and baked. It makes a healthy side or meal.
- 3 large large bell peppers , tops sliced off and then seeded. Reserve the peppers whole and finely dice the tops that you cut off.
- 1 medium onion , finely diced
- 1 medium potato , finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- 2 tsp urad dal (black gram dal)
- ¾ cup brown rice , cooked until tender but chewy
- 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ to 1 tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp turmeric (optional)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs , mixed with ½ tsp oil and 1 tbsp shiro miso (white miso)
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp white miso
Heat 1 tbsp oil and add the mustard seeds. When the crackle, add the udad dal and peanuts. Stir until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Add the onions and potatoes. Saute until the potatoes become quite tender, about 5 minutes. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and salt to taste.
Add the chopped portion of the bell peppers and stir in. Cook, stirring, another 3-4 minutes. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
Turn off heat and stir in the chopped cilantro
Now stuff each of the three bell peppers with the brown rice all the way to the top.
Top each pepper with the breadcrumb-miso mixture.
Oil an oven-safe bowl in which you can accommodate all three peppers standing up. Place the bell peppers in it.
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Potassium: 956mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 771IU | Vitamin C: 149mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg