Servings: 4 servings
- 1 medium eggplant (large Italian eggplan. Slit in half. Place in an oiled, oven-safe pan, cut side down, and roast in a 400-degree oven for 25-30 minutes. My mom would roast this directly on the open flame of the gas stove, but I use a toaster oven which is perfect for this. If a knife pierced through the center slides in easily, it is thoroughly cooked and ready. Remember, half-cooked eggplant will be bitter and tough and will turn you off this delightful vegetable forever, so don't take shortcuts here).
- ¼ cup coconut (I use pre-shredded coconut from Whole Foods because that's all I get here, but freshly grated coconut would be wonderful).
- ¼ cup vegan yogurt (it works beautifully in this dish as a replacement for regular yogurt)
- 2 green chili peppers , minced
- ¼ cup packed mint or cilantro (thinly shredded)
- ½ medium onion (finely minced)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional-- don't add if you don't like too much heat because there's already some from the green chillies)
- Salt to taste
Scoop the flesh of the roasted eggplant into a bowl. It will be golden brown and really tender. Mash with a fork until you don't have any large lumps.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
This is perfect with any spicy dal-rice combination or with biryani. I also love to just scoop it up with a chapati.
Calories: 88kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 409mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 701IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg