Vegan Zucchini Bread
Baking a loaf of delicious vegan zucchini bread is a must for the summer. This loaf is tender and delicious, infused with the goodness of fresh zucchini and whole wheat flour, and naturally sweetened with coconut sugar. It's also low in fat.
Servings: 24 slices
Two loaf pans
Grater with large holes
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or use half whole wheat flour and half all purpose or all purpose only)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon (use cloves or ginger, or a mix, for a nice variation)
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut sugar (or any sugar of your choice, or maple syrup)
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups zucchini (grated. About two medium zucchini)
- 1 cup walnuts (lightly toasted, then chopped. Pecans would work too)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
Whisk the flaxmeal with 9 tbsp water in a large bowl. Add to it the oil, sugar, applesauce and vanilla and whisk well.
Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl and mix together just until everything comes together, then stir in the zucchini and the nuts.
Grease and flour two loaf pans. Divide the batter equally between the two and smooth down the top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack about 15 minutes, then slide a knife around the edges to unmold. Continue cooling on a rack.
- Stir 1 cup chocolate chips into your bread instead of walnuts for a kid-friendlier version.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 2.2mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 0.9mg