Vegan Moroccan Chickpea Stew
An easy and flavorful vegan Moroccan Chickpea Stew packed with veggies like zucchini, potatoes, bell peppers, carrots and tomatoes. All of this goodness is brightened with a vibrant Harissa sauce. The recipe is no-oil, soy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free.
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 cups chickpeas (cooked or canned)
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated or crushed)
- 2 potatoes (diced, use red or yellow)
- 2 carrots (finely diced)
- 5 plum tomatoes (quartered. Or use cherry tomatoes, halved, about 20)
- 2 medium zucchini (finely diced)
- 1 green pepper (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (remove leaves from tough stems and run a knife through them. You can use 2 teaspoons of dried thyme instead).
- 3 scallions (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 4-6 tablespoons harissa sauce
In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock and add the onions, garlic, and ginger.
Saute until the onion gets soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add a tablespoon more of the stock if the pan gets too dry.
Add the chickpeas and about 2 cups of liquid. Add tomatoes, coriander-cumin powder, potatoes, turmeric and salt to taste.
Cover and cook about 20 minutes.
Add the thyme, carrots, zucchini and green peppers. Cook another 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
Check salt. Stir in the harissa paste, a tablespoon at a time, until you get the heat you desire. Store any remaining paste in an airtight jar for a week, or freeze for longer shelf life.
Garnish the stew with parsley and chopped scallions. Serve hot.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 719mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3385IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 4mg