Kashmiri Collard Greens
Kashmiri style collard greens slow-cooked with spices and tomatoes
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 5-6 leaves, stems removed, then rolled up and cut into long, skinny ribbons)
- 1 tomato (dunked into boiling water for a minute, then peeled and diced)
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes (or cayenne)
- 1 ½ cups water
Heat the oil and add the onions. Saute on medium heat until nicely browned.
Add the ginger and garlic and stir for a minute.
Add the tomato and stir for another minute.
Add the collard greens, salt, red chilli flakes and water.
When it comes to a boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn the heat to low, and allow the veggies to simmer away for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
If there is still water remaining at the bottom of the pan, turn the heat to medium or high and let it evaporate.
Serve hot as a side dish with rice and dal or with rotis.
Calories: 71kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 243mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2715IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg