Curried Pink Beans with Dill
A delicious curry made with pink beans (you can sub pinto beans or kidney beans) and a few simple spices. Habanero pepers and dill add sass and lots of flavor. Serve with rice or bread for a satisfying, hearty and healthy meal.
- 14 oz pink beans (drained. Can sub with pinto beans or kidney beans)
- 1 medium red onion , sliced very thinly
- 4-5 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- ½ habanero pepper , chopped finely (wash hands thoroughly after handling!)
- 1 medium tomato , chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- ½ cup dill , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sugar and stir for a minute. Turn the heat to medium-low and let the onions caramelize, about 10 minutes.
Add the chopped habanero pepper and garlic. Cook for about five minutes. By now the onions should be fairly brown and the garlic would have taken a golden hue.
Add the tomato, turmeric if using, and cumin and coriander powders. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate.
Add the beans and stir to mix. Add salt to taste.
Allow the beans to simmer for about 10 minutes until the flavors have merged.
Add the chopped dill and turn off the heat.
Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 318mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 486IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg