Vegan Savory Herb French Toast
This delicious savory Herb French Toast with fresh herbs like sage and mint makes a welcome change for breakfast. Even better, it takes no more than 20 minutes to make with ingredients that are probably already in your pantry. Vegan, soy-free and nut-free recipe, and can be made with gluten-free bread.
Servings: 8 French toasts (serves 4 people)
- 8 thick slices French bread or any crusty bread
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon flaxmeal whisked with 6 tablespoon water, then allowed to stand for a couple of minutes)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh, minced sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh, minced mint
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (substitute with two teaspoons of smashed, minced fresh garlic)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil for coating pan (or use cooking spray if you don't want to use oil)
In a bowl or dish large enough to hold a slice of the bread, whisk the flax eggs with the milk, herbs, rice flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until there are no lumpy bits of flaxmeal. Let it stand a couple of minutes to thicken slightly.
Coat a large skillet with oil and heat.
Soak each slice of bread in the mixture, turning once so both sides are coated. I do this quickly, and don't let the bread soak for too long. The longer you leave the bread in the mixture, the more moisture it will soak up. Wetter bread will be harder to handle.
Add the slices of bread one by one to the skillet, but don't overlap. You can do this in batches. Cook over medium-high heat for three to four minutes on each side or until golden-brown.
Serve hot with tomato chutney (recipe link in notes below)
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.1g | Protein: 4.4g | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3.6g | Iron: 2.7mg