Vegan Indo Chinese "Egg" Fried Rice
The "egg" in this vegan Indo Chinese Egg Fried Rice is made with chickpea flour, or besan, and the recipe is soy-free, gluten-free, nut-free and takes no more than 20 minutes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup medium or long grain rice, cooked. Brown rice is fine. Day old rice is great for this, but if you use freshly made rice, spread it out on a baking sheet to dry, or the rice will turn sticky when you stir-fry.
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green chili peppers, like serrano or jalapeno, finely minced. Deseed if you want less spice.
- 6 spring onions, green and white parts chopped into rings
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For vegan "egg":
- ¾ cup chickpea flour or besan
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or any red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or cooking spray
Make the vegan egg:
In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour with the water, turmeric, cayenne and salt until there are no lumps.
Heat a non-stick or cast-iron wok or wide skillet. Coat the bottom with oil or cooking spray.
When the pan is hot, pour in the chickpea mixture. Cook until brown spots appear, then flip with a wide spatula and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes more until set.
Remove to a plate and set aside while you make the rice. When cool enough to handle, roll the omelet and cut into very thin strips.
Make the rice:
Heat the oil in the same wok or skillet you made the omelet in. Add the garlic and green chilies and saute for a few seconds until the garlic gets fragrant.
Add the spring onions and saute for a minute, then add the rice.
Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes over high heat. Add salt, stir, and cover with a lid and let the rice cook for 2 minutes, no more.
Remove the lid and add the shredded vegan "egg." Mix well.
Serve hot with soy sauce and chilli vinegar on the side.
Calories: 354kcal | Protein: 11.4g | Fat: 6.1g | Potassium: 490mg | Fiber: 8.1g | Sugar: 4.8g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Iron: 4.9mg