Golden Beet and Carrot Slaw, Indian Style
This warm, Indian style Golden Beet Carrot Slaw is delicious and incredibly healthy. Indian spices like cumin, mustard and fennel, and coconut and lime build complex layers of flavor in this easy, quick dish. Serve it with dal-rice or with burgers.
Servings: 6 servings
- 5 small golden beets, scrubbed clean and ends trimmed
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed clean and ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or any vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon paanch phoron (a mix of equal parts of mustard, cumin, fennel, nigella and fenugeek seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice of ½ lime (about 2 tsp)
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (finely chopped, for garnish)
Grate the beets and the carrots in a food processor or by hand. I use the blade with the largest holes.
Heat the oil in a wok. Add the paanch phoron and wait until the mustard sputters.
Add the shredded vegetables, a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes. Toss well to mix and continue cooking over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the carrot and beets are cooked but not mushy, about 8 minutes.
Add more salt if needed. Stir in the coconut shreds, lime juice and the coriander. Serve warm or at room temperature. This goes beautifully with dal and rice, but it's a nice side for burgers too.
Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.2g | Protein: 1.7g | Fat: 2g | Potassium: 339mg | Sugar: 7.9g | Vitamin A: 5800IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1.3mg