Instant Pot Mushroom and Potato Korma
An Instant Pot Mushroom and Potato Korma that is ready from scratch in under 20 minutes, and is perfect to scoop up with naan or roti, or ladle onto white rice. I use a blend of fresh and dry mushrooms here for most flavor and texture. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup fried onions (I use a supermarket brand, like French's, for convenience, but you can certainly make your own)
- 1 tsp grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1 tsp crushed garlic or garlic paste
- 1 cup dry shiitake mushrooms (wild mushroom varieties like chanterelle or oysters are great here too) Steep the mushrooms in two cups of water for 30 minutes. Mine were pre-sliced, but if you need to, slice them. Save the stock.
- 8 oz crimini or button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne, optional if you want less heat
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala * Use storebought, if you'd rather, or check the recipe notes for a link to my homemade DIY garam masala recipe.
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander or cilantro leaves, optional
Place the cashews, poppy seeds, fried onions and sesame seeds in a blender with 1/2 cup of water and blend into a smooth paste. Set aside.
Place the steel insert in your Instant Pot and add 2 tbsp of water. Set the Instant Pot to saute, and add the ginger and garlic.
Saute for 2 minutes or until the water has dried up. Add the potatoes, all the mushrooms along with the stock from soaking the dry mushrooms, ground black pepper, cayenne, if using, turmeric, garam masala, and salt to taste.
Add the cashew paste. Give it all a good stir.
Click on the Instant Pot lid and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for five minutes.
After cooking has ended and the pressure has released, open and squeeze in the lemon juice and add cilantro, if using. Check for salt and add more if needed. Serve hot.
- Check out my homemade garam masala recipe here.
- If making this recipe without an Instant Pot, follow all the steps as directed, but add the potatoes with some water before you add the mushrooms. Let the potatoes cook to tenderness, and then add the mushrooms and proceed with the recipe. After the stew comes to a boil, lower heat and let it cook for 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- For a nut-free version, use a cup of coconut milk instead of cashews and blend with the sesame and poppy seeds as directed.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha or naan, or with white or brown rice.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.5g | Protein: 4.1g | Fat: 9g | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 1.8g | Sugar: 3.3g | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2.5mg