Vegan Leek Quiche
If you want to impress your guests this Thanksgiving and hold on to your waistline, this Vegan Leek Quiche has you covered. It has a creamy, silky filling of tofu, cashews, and leeks, and a delicate whole wheat and olive oil crust that melts in your mouth. Can be made nut-free and with a gluten-free crust.
Servings: 8 servings
For the crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (see recipe notes for link to gluten-free crust)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- About ½ cup of water
For the filling:
- 3 leeks, light green and white parts finely chopped. Wash the leeks thoroughly in running water and wash again after cutting the leek in half lengthwise because you'll almost always find grit hiding between the leaves.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup raw cashews (optional, can leave out to make the quiche nut-free)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Make the crust:
Place all ingredients except water in the bowl of a food processor or a large bowl. Mix well, then drizzle in the water slowly until the dough just comes together. Use a fork to mix, if doing this without a food processor.
Gather the dough into a ball, and then wrap tightly in cling wrap, shaping it with your hands into a disc. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
Make the filling:
Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the leeks with the garlic, some salt and ground black pepper to taste. Saute for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the leeks soften and become tender, but do not brown. Turn off heat.
Place all ingredients--the tofu, nutritional yeast, cashews, nutmeg, garlic powder and water--in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
Add the tofu cream to the leeks and mix well.
Assemble and bake the quiche:
Roll the crust to fit a 9-inch tart pan. Fold into half and place in the pan. Unfold and, using your fingers, fit the crust into the pan. Cut out any overhanging dough by running your rolling pin over it.
Prick the bottom of the crust all over with the tines of a fork. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet.
Pour the filling into the crust.
Place the baking sheet with the tart pan into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the filling has set.
Remove and let the quiche cool about 20 minutes before unmolding. Serve.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.1g | Protein: 10.7g | Fat: 17.2g | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 3.3g | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 4.1mg