One-Pot Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
A one-pot vegan Tater Tot Casserole with a creamy, savory filling of veggies and vegan sausage covered by a golden, crispy layer of tater tots. A fun and easy recipe that's also gluten-free and soy-free.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed and minced)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 14 oz vegan Italian sausage (Tofurky, or the vegan Morningstar version or Beyond Meat are all fine)
- 1 cup mushrooms (finely chopped, crimini or button or portobello are all fine)
- 16 oz frozen veggies (I used a mix of green beans, wax beans and carrots. You can choose your own, including corn, green peas, and green peppers)
- 1 tsp sage (or thyme)
- ¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour (sub rice flour if glutenfree)
- 2 cups almond milk (or any nondairy milk, unsweetened)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups (approx) tater tots
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and onions, season with salt and ground black pepper, and cook over medium heat until soft but not brown.
Add the sausage and stir for a couple of minutes until it starts to brown.
Add the mushrooms and stir well. Saute for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to soften, then add the sage or thyme and the flour and mix well. Cook, stirring, for another couple of minutes.
Add the frozen veggies, mix, and then add the nondairy milk. Stir frequently until the mixture just comes to a boil. Add more salt and pepper as needed. Turn off the heat.
Arrange the frozen tater tots on top of the veggies. You can make a simple but appealing design, like I did, by arranging the tots in concentric circles.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake 55 minutes or until the tater tots are golden-brown.
Remove the skillet from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Calories: 377kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 484mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 1mg