Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Quiche
This Vegan Chorizo Breakfast Quiche is the perfect way to spice up breakfast or brunch and keep it healthy. Meatless chorizo and tofu add flavor and protein, and asparagus, a spring favorite, adds texture and freshness.
Servings: 8 servings
- 12 oz vegan chorizo (removed from the casings and crumbled)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sage (finely chopped)
- 12 spears asparagus (trimmed and chopped into ½-inch bits. Leeks will work very well here too.)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 14-oz block extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a cast-iron or other skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and onions and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onions turn soft.
Add the asparagus and sage or mint, saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the chorizo and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another five minutes. Turn off heat.
Place the cashews, tofu, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper to taste in a blender along with ½ cup water. Blend until very smooth.
Pour the tofu into the chorizo mixture and mix well. You can simply bake the quiche in the cast iron skillet (or any oven-safe skillet) at this point, or pour it into a pie or tart plate.
Bake for 40 minutes. Let it stand 10 minutes, then serve.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.9g | Protein: 20.3g | Fat: 17.9g | Potassium: 151mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 5mg