20-minute Best Vegetable Curry
If you want all the colors and flavors of the season in one pot, tied together with a few simple spices and creamy coconut milk, this 20-minute Best Vegetable Curry will hit the spot. Mix and match your colorful veggies, and enjoy the deliciousness with a side of rice for a nutritious and easy vegan dinner. A vegan, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free recipe.
Servings: 4 servings
- 16 oz mushrooms (button or crimini, sliced)
- 1 large bell pepper (thinly sliced into ½-inch long pieces)
- 1 large or 2 small jalapeno peppers (deseeded, if you want less heat, and thinly sliced)
- 1-inch piece ginger (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium shallot (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 15-20 curry leaves (optional)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika (optional, but adds a deeper color)
- 1 cup coconut milk (canned, not from the carton)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 10 cherry tomatoes (halved. Regular tomatoes are fine)
- 4 spring onions (chopped)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the mustard seeds, let them sputter and crackle, then add the shallots, ginger, jalapeno, and curry leaves, if using. Season with salt and pepper and saute for a couple of minutes until the shallots begin to soften.
Add the bell peppers and mushrooms and saute another 3-4 minutes until the vegetables appear to have softened. Add the turmeric, garam masala, and paprika if using. Stir to mix, then add half the coconut milk and bring everything to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for a couple more minutes or until the vegetables are done to your liking.
Add the remaining coconut milk, salt if needed, and warm through without bringing to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice, cherry tomatoes and spring onions.
Serve hot or warm with rice.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 731mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2036IU | Vitamin C: 146mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 3mg