Indo Chinese Garlic Fried Rice
Indo Chinese Garlic Fried Rice is a delicious concoction from Indian Chinese restaurants that incorporates crispy little chips of burnt garlic. A gluten-free, nut-free, vegan recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 ½ cups basmati (or other long grain rice, dry)
- 20 large cloves garlic (smashed, then thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (another vegetable oil is fine if you don't have this)
- 1 large green bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (tamari is good as a gluten-free substitute)
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 6 spring onions (trimmed and white and green parts finely chopped)
- Salt to taste (use kala namak or black salt if you have it)
- 14 oz baked tofu (cut into small cubes, optional)
Cook the rice, like pasta, in a large pot of salted boiling water, until about 80 percent done. The grains should still be al dente. This will help keep your rice from turning into mush when you stir-fry it. Spread the rice on a baking sheet in a thin layer to help any additional moisture evaporate.
Heat the oil in a large wok and add the chopped garlic to it while it's still cold. Cook the garlic, sauteing frequently, until it is golden brown and almost burnt. Remove three-fourths of the garlic from the oil using a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the green bell pepper to the hot oil along with the baked tofu cubes, if using, and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, then add the cooked, cooled rice along with the soy sauce and rice vinegar. Use more or less of the red pepper and vinegar, according to your taste.
Stir-fry the rice in the wok over high heat, about five minutes. In the last couple of minutes of cooking, add the chopped spring onions and add salt if needed.
Serve hot after sprinkling on the reserved garlic.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 321IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg