Savory Vegan Squash and Rice Pudding
This savory vegan Squash and Rice Pudding is all of summer's best flavors in a bowl. Yellow squash is baked into a creamy rice pudding with herbs like oregano and basil. Vegan, soy-free and just ... ingredients. Can be one-pot.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 3 medium yellow squashes (approx 1.25 pounds. Cut them crosswise into rounds about quarter inch thick)
- 1 ½ cups rice (any long grain, like jasmine or basmati)
- 2.5 cups coconut milk (I used the kind that comes in a carton, not a can, and has 50 calories per cup)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (chopped)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds until fragrant, then add the yellow squash. Season with salt and pepper and saute for about two to three minutes until the squash starts to soften.
Add the rice and herbs to the skillet and stir to mix everything. Add the coconut milk, let it cook until the liquid begins to bubble at the corners, then place a tight lid on the skillet and cook 20 minutes without disturbing.
While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Also blend the cashews with 1 ½ cups water (or, for a creamier consistency, you can also use any nondairy milk)
Once the rice is done, stir in the herbs along with the cashew cream and add more salt and ground black pepper if you wish. If you are using a baking dish, at this point transfer the whole thing into the baking dish.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil (or an oven-safe lid) and bake 20 minutes. Then remove the foil or lid and continue cooking another 15 minutes.
Serve hot or warm.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 243mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 8.6mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.2mg