How to marinate and bake tofu for Indian dishes
An easy guide to marinating and baking tofu for use in Indian recipes. These marinated tofu cubes also make an amazing snack by themselves. You can stir them into curries that normally use paneer, like Paneer Palak or Matar Paneer, pile them into a wrap or toss them into salads.
- 16 oz super firm tofu (Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Can use extra firm, but press out all the water first by swaddling the tofu in paper towels, placing in a colander, then placing a heavy weight on it, like a heavy saucepan. Wait 30 minutes or until most of the water has drained out.)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp cilantro (mint makes an excellent substitute, or use half and half)
- 2 green chili peppers (like jalapeno or serrano. Deseed for less heat. then chop)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place all ingredients other than the tofu in a blender with 1/4th cup water and blitz into a very smooth paste.
Place the tofu cubes in a rimmed baking sheet large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer without overlapping, or in a baking pan.
Pour the marinade over the tofu and toss the tofu lightly in the marinade to coat evenly.
Place the tofu in the hot oven and bake 40-50 minutes. Halfway through baking, turn over the tofu cubes so they brown evenly. Remove the baking sheet from the oven when the tofu is lightly brown and slightly crispy and chewy on the inside.
- This is not necessary, but cover the baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
Calories: 127kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 10gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 13IUCalcium: 142mgIron: 1mg
Let us know! Or post a photo on Instagram and tag @HolyCowVegan