Vegan Dirty Rice
An easy vegan Dirty Rice recipe that you can cook up in under 30 minutes. There are no chicken livers in this meatless version of the Louisiana classic, but vegan sausage and Cajun seasoning -- along with a few other carefully chosen ingredients -- add all the flavor you can handle. A soy-free, gluten-free and nut-free recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1.5 cups basmati rice (raw)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 3 stalks celery (finely diced)
- 3 green bell peppers (finely diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed and minced)
- 2 tbsp sage (finely chopped)
- 14 oz vegan sausage (I used Beyond Meat, but any vegan sausage works here. Break it up into small bits by hand)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped)
Bring 2.5 cups of the vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan, add salt and ground black pepper to taste, and add the raw rice. Once the stock comes back to a boil, add the rice, cover, and cook for 8 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, in a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and sage, add a dash of salt and ground black pepper, and saute for about five minutes until the vegetables are soft but not colored. Add the sausage and saute for a couple of minutes.
Add the smoked paprika and liquid aminos and stir well, then fold in the cooked rice, the remaining half cup of vegetable stock, and the Cajun seasoning. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Stir in the parsley and serve hot.
- To make this recipe with brown rice, use four cups of vegetable stock for the same quantity of rice, and let it cook 45 minutes over a low flame in a covered pot.
Calories: 340.46kcal | Carbohydrates: 48.9g | Protein: 15.52g | Fat: 9.32g | Saturated Fat: 3.59g | Potassium: 439.15mg | Fiber: 4.87g | Sugar: 4.07g | Vitamin A: 1329.27IU | Vitamin C: 56.55mg | Calcium: 39.88mg | Iron: 1.03mg