Goan 'Sausage' Curry
My delicious vegan Goan 'Sausage' Curry has all the flavor of this beloved dish from Goa, but without the pork. It's also soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free.
Servings: 4 servings
- 14 oz vegan sausage links (cut into rounds about 1 cm thick)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika (divided. Can also use Kashmiri chili powder)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste (divided)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate vinegar (or apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium potatoes (finely diced)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely diced)
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
Place the sausages in a bowl with turmeric, 1 tsp paprika, cinnamon, ground black pepper, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and the vinegar. Mix well to coat the sausage pieces with the spices. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
Heat oil in a skillet or wok and add the potatoes to it. Stir-fry the potatoes over medium-high heat until they are a light golden-brown. Add the onions, remaining ginger-garlic paste and cilantro along with the remaining paprika and a little salt and stir-fry until the onions begin to turn golden-brown.
Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn pulpy. Now add the marinated sausages, stir to mix, and then add in a cup of vegetable stock or water.
Add more salt if needed, and bring the curry to a boil. At this point, you can add more stock or water if you want a saucier curry. Cover and cook the curry for another five minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Turn off the heat and serve hot with bread rolls or rice.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 663mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1143IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 4mg