Vegan Minestrone Soup
An Italian minestrone soup is a classic for any time of the year, but a hot bowlful of this rich red soup -- a one-pot meal, really, packed chock full with veggies and beans and pasta -- is a special treat in winter. A vegan, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free recipe, can be oil-free.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (if you want to make this oil-free, use 1/4 cup vegetable stock instead of the oil)
- 1 large yellow onion (finely diced)
- 3 stalks celery (finely diced)
- 1 large carrot (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups green beans (chopped)
- 2 cups cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil (if using fresh basil, use approx 2 tbsp of torn or chopped basil leaves)
- 28 oz plum tomatoes (canned. Pour into a bowl and crush whole tomatoes with your fingers. Use San Marzano tomatoes for a really nice color and flavor)
- 2 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika (optional, adds nice color and flavor)
- 28 oz white beans (or kidney beans or pinto beans)
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup orzo (use gluten-free orzo or any small pasta)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- Cashew parmesan (for serving, optional)
Heat the oil in a large stockpot (or stock if making this oil-free) and add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions become soft and translucent. You don't want to brown them.
Add the green beans and cabbage along with the oregano and basil. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika and beans and mix well. Add five cups of stock and bring to a boil.
Once the liquid boils, add the uncooked orzo or any pasta you're using to the pot, cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Thin out with more stock, if needed -- minestrone is quite thick, but you can adjust the consistency to your liking. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Serve hot in bowls with an Italian bread or by itself. Garnish with chopped parsley or cashew parmesan, as desired.
Calories: 186kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 10gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 417mgPotassium: 686mgFiber: 7gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 2027IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 94mgIron: 3mg
Let us know! Or post a photo on Instagram and tag @HolyCowVegan