Vegan White Pesto
A vegan white pesto sauce that's delicious, really easy to make, creamy, nutty, and packs a punch with flecks of pungent, leafy oregano. It's even kid-friendly and it's gluten-free and soy-free.
- ½ cup walnuts (lightly toasted and finely chopped)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (grated or finely crushed. I like garlic, but you can cut this down to one clove because it can be a strong flavor as we are using raw garlic)
- 1 tbsp oregano (finely chopped. Or use 1 tsp dry)
- 1 cup pasta cooking water
- ¼ cup vegan cashew parmesan (for serving)
For vegan ricotta:
- ½ cup raw cashews (you can soak these beforehand for 30 minutes if your blender isn't powerful)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Place all of the ricotta ingredients in a blender or food processor with ¼ cup water and process into a smooth paste. If you need more water, add just a teaspoon at a time to keep the blades moving.
Turn out the ricotta in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients along with a cup of the water you cooked your pasta in. Stir vigorously to combine everything, then stir in the pasta and mix well.
Serve topped with cashew parmesan.
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg