Veg Fried Rice
A delicious plate of Vegetable Fried Rice, made in the Indo-Chinese style. The separate, perfectly cooked grains of rice are tied together with a savory, flavorful sauce of rice vinegar and tamari, and studded with vegetables like carrots and bell peppers. Once you have your ingredients prepped, this recipe comes together in under five minutes. A vegan, nut-free and gluten-free recipe.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups basmati rice (soaked in water for 30 minutes, then drained)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 cloves garlic (use less if you don't like your rice garlicky)
- 3 green chili peppers (minced. Serrano or jalapeno both work. Deseed and/or use less if sensitive to heat)
- 6 scallions (finely chopped. Green and white parts separated)
- 2 medium carrots (finely chopped. You want these to be as small as you can possibly get them without grating them, so they cook quickly in the wok)
- 1 large green bell pepper (again very finely chopped into tiny bits)
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (see notes above for what's suitable)
- 2 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos (optional, but nice)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
You can either make the rice in the microwave or the stovetop. To make it in the microwave, place the drained rice in a microwave-safe bowl and add 3 cups water to it. Add salt and mix. Cook on high power for 9 minutes or until the rice is cooked about 90 percent--enough to mash it with some pressure, but not soft. Drain the rice thoroughly if there's any water remaining.To cook this on the stovetop, bring a large pot of salted water to boil, the way you would for pasta. Add the drained rice and cook about 8-9 minutes, again until the rice is about 90 percent done. Drain thoroughly.
Spread the rice on a baking sheet in as thin a layer as possible and set aside for at least 15-20 minutes or even more if possible. The rice should cool down thoroughly.
Heat the wok over very high heat--as high as your stove will go.
Pour in the vegetable oil along the sides of the pan so by the time it pools at the bottom it's already hot.
Immediately add the garlic, green chili peppers, the white part of the scallions, carrots and green bell peppers. Stir-fry rapidly for just about a minute, then add in the sauces--hot chili sauce, tamari, rice vinegar and liquid aminos. Mix them quickly and then add the rice.
Stir-fry the rice, with the wok still on high heat, for a couple of minutes, moving it constantly so every grain of rice has an opportunity to make contact with the hot surface of the wok several times. After two to three minutes, taste the rice and add ground black pepper and more salt if needed. Mix thoroughly, turn off the heat, garnish with the green parts of the scallions and serve hot.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 190mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2713IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg