Vegan Colcannon (with Sauerkraut)
Put a tasty twist on your Vegan Colcannon this St. Patrick'sDay by stirring in a spot of sauerkraut into this creamy potato mash. You'll bewishing you made more. A gluten-free, soy-free recipe, can be nut-free.
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 medium russet potatoes (abour 2 pounds, cooked until tender, then peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (or vegan butter)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 scallions (chopped, some greens reserved for garnish)
- 1 cup cabbage (thinly shredded)
- 2 cups sauerkraut
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (to top the colcannon)
Blend the cashews with ¾ cup water or vegetable stock. Set aside.
Heat the oil and add the garlic, green onions and shredded cabbage. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes or until the cabbage has softened.
Add the potatoes and use a masher to mash them. Mix them with the cabbage and scallions, then add the cashew cream. Mix well and turn off the heat.
Stir in the sauerkraut. Remove the colcannon to a bowl and make a well in the center for the vegan butter.
Calories: 180kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 172IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg