Vegan Breakfast Shepherd's Pie
This easy and tasty Vegan Breakfast Shepherd's Pie takes no more than 20 minutes to put together, and another 25 minutes in the oven. You can tweak it to the ingredients you have on hand. And although it's perfect to start your day with, you can have it any time--for lunch or dinner. Nut-free and gluten-free recipe, can be soy-free.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 leek (cleaned of all grit and thinly sliced)
- 1 small bell pepper (any color, diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed and minced)
- 14 oz vegan sausage (any flavor, crumbled into small bits. You can also do this in a food processor. Use Beyond meat or any gluten-free sausage if tailoring for such diets. Meatless crumbles are fine here too)
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, and leave out if the sausage is already spicy, like if you're using chipotle sausage)
- 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour (or regular all purpose flour)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tamari (or liquid aminos or soy sauce. It adds great umami, but leave out if soy-free)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
For the mashed potato topping:
To make the filling, heat the vegetable oil in a 10-inch or bigger cast iron skillet.
Add the leeks and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the leeks are wilted and tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the crumbled sausage and continue to saute another couple of minutes, then add in the rosemary, red pepper if using and flour.
Saute, scraping up any bits that stick to the bottom, for another two minutes. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for another five minutes. Add more salt if needed. Turn off the heat.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Make the mashed potato topping:
Assemble and bake the casserole:
Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the filling in an even layer. Use the tines of a fork, if you wish, to trace decorative patterns on the potatoes.
Place in the preheated oven and bake 25 minutes or until the filling is bubbling up the sides and the potatoes are just beginning to color.
Let stand five minutes outside the oven, then serve hot.
Calories: 235kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 12gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gPotassium: 668mgFiber: 4gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 633IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 47mgIron: 2mg
Let us know! Or post a photo on Instagram and tag @HolyCowVegan