Vegan Tomato Soup
A velvety, delicious Vegan Tomato Soup that you can make with canned tomatoes or with the bounty of tomatoes and herbs from your summer garden. A soy-free recipe, can be nut-free and gluten-free.
Servings: 4 servings (about 2 cups each)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour (use gluten-free all purpose flour for a gf version of the soup)
- 28 oz plum tomatoes like San Marzano (or freshly pureed tomatoes. If using canned, place the tomatoes and their juices in a bowl and squish with your fingers to break the tomatoes down.)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 leaves basil
- 4 tbsp cashew cream (made by blending two tablespoons of cashews with two tablespoons of water into a very smooth pate. You can make more to sprinkle on the soup before serving. Leave out if nut-free, or use a cream made by blending an equal amount of pumpkin seeds with water).
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Place the garlic and oil in a large pot and heat over medium. Stir the garlic until it starts to turn a light blonde.
Add the onions and some salt and ground black pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, until the onions soften but do not brown, about 3-5 minutes.
Stir in the red pepper flakes all purpose flour and saute until it starts to change color and smells fragrant. Now add in the tomatoes along with two cups of water, the thyme and basil. Stir well, then bring to a boil, cover, lower heat to a point where it just simmers, and cook for 30-40 minutes.
After the soup is cooked, you can eat as is, but I really like a smooth texture, so I puree it further in a blender or with a hand blender. Be very careful when working with hot liquids, following blender manufacturer instructions, and cool the soup first if necessary.
Place the blended soup back in the pot, add water if it's too thick, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper as needed, then stir in the cashew cream.
Serve hot with crusty bread or croutons.
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 570mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1771IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg