Vegan Spinach Potato Casserole
In this tasty, healthy Vegan Spinach Potato Casserole, perfect for breakfast or brunch or anytime, really, crunchy, savory breadcrumbs are seasoned with herbs and they mingle with the creamy potato spinach sausage filling in every bite. It's an everyone pleaser!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 medium potatoes (very thinly sliced, as you'd do for a gratin)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 14 oz vegan sausage (crumbled. By a gf or soy-free brand based on your diet preference)
- 3 cups baby spinach (roughly chopped)
- 4 crimini mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
- 2 tbsp sage (2 tsp if using dry)
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour (use gf all purpose flour if you're glutenfree)
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- 8 oz vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (use gf breadcrumbs if gluten-free)
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Scallions or parsley (for garnish, chopped)
Place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish, add water to cover, and blitz 5-8 minutes on high or until the potato slices are tender but not falling apart.
Mix or blend the nondairy milk with the garlic and onion powders, oregano and black pepper and salt and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet or an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of the oil. Add the garlic and onions with a dash of salt and pepper and saute until the onions get translucent.
Add the crumbled sausage to the skillet and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the baby spinach, mushrooms, sage and parsley to the skillet and saute until the spinach has wilted.
Add the flour to the skillet and stir until the flour disappears into the vegetables. Pour in the nondairy milk mixture and mix well. Add more salt and pepper at this point if needed. The milk should thicken quite a bit.
Turn off the heat and arrange the potato slices all over the top. Sprinkle the cheese shreds over the top.
Mix the breadcrumbs with the thyme, vegan parmesan, if using, the remaining oil and salt and ground black pepper to taste. Scatter over the cheese layer.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbling and the breadcrumbs are crunchy and golden-brown.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 434mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1822IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 181mg | Iron: 2mg