Vegan Scones Recipe
Fluffy, crispy around the edges and melt-in-the-mouth tender, these vegan scones would quite possibly make the queen happy at high tea. They are even part whole-wheat! Black currants add a sweet touch, and stir in some optional sourdough for even greater texture, flavor --- and health.
Servings: 10 scones
Medium sized bowl
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour (you can also make this entirely with all purpose or entirely with whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup sugar (and more for sprinkling on the scones)
- 6 tablespoon vegan butter
- ½ cup currants (or raisins, or any dry fruit like cranberries, blueberries, strawberries. Don't use fresh fruit because they'll express moisture, changing the texture of the scone)
- ½ cup sourdough discard (optional)
- ½ cup almond milk (cold, You might not need all of it)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix the dry ingredients--the flours, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Cut in the vegan butter with a fork or pastry cutter until you have a crumbly mix with some large, pea-sized pieces of butter.
Stir in the currants or raisins.
Add the sourdough discard if using, and mix with a fork quickly. Add the apple cider vinegar and slowly add the nondairy milk, no more than a teaspoon at a time, until the dough just holds together. It shouldn't get too wet.
Shape the dough into a ball and place on a floured surface. Flour a rolling pin and roll into a disc about a third of an inch thick.
Use a cookie cutter to cut out the scones. Or use a knife and cut it, pizza-style, into eight wedges. I got 10 scones using a 2¼-inch cookie cutter. You will probably get nine if you don't use sourdough discard.
Place the scones on a baking sheet and bake 14 minutes or until they are golden-brown on the bottom and lightly golden on top.
Serve hot or warm. Scones taste best when fresh from the oven.
Serving: 1scone | Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 326IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg