Vegan Meatball Fricassee
Vegan meatballs in a thick, creamy sauce flecked with veggies may be the most comforting meal ever. Every mouthful of this Vegan Meatball Fricassee, seasoned with Cajun spices and fresh garden herbs like rosemary and thyme, is a warm, cozy hug. It is soy-free, gluten-free and it can be nut-free.
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (divided)
- 24 vegan meatballs
- 2 leeks (or onions, finely chopped. If using leeks use both white and green parts)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped or cut into coins)
- 2 medium yellow potatoes (or red potatoes, cut in a dice)
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms (or button mushrooms, sliced)
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ¼ cup flour (all purpose, both regular and gluten-free, are fine)
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs + more for garnish (use savory herbs like sage, rosemary, thyme or oregano)
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning (optional)
- 2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce, optional if soy-free)
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp raw cashews (if nut-free, use ½ cup oat milk or other creamy nondairy milk)
Blend the cashews into a smooth paste with ½ cup water or vegetable stock and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large dutch oven or pot. Add the meatballs, in batches if needed, and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil and add the leeks and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until leeks are slightly soft. Add the celery, carrots and potatoes and continue to saute for another couple of minutes.
Add the mushrooms to the pot, saute until they begin to express their moisture, then add the wine, if using. Allow most of the wine to cook out and once the moisture has evaporated, add the flour and herbs stir them in.
Once the veggies have absorbed the flour, add 3 cups of vegetable stock to the pot and mix well. Season with more salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Let the stew simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
Stir in the cajun seasoning and soy sauce, if using. Check for salt and pepper and add more if needed. Add the cashew cream or oat milk and bring back to a simmer.
Add the reserved meatballs and warm through. Sprinkle on more herbs before serving.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 425mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2337IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg