Chili Garlic Instant Ramen Noodles
These Instant Chili Garlic Ramen Noodles take 15 minutes to pull together from scratch and they are a certain kid favorite. I make these with brown rice ramen, so they're gluten-free, but regular ramen noodles are fine--just read labels to make sure they are vegan and toss the flavor packets. Then you can control how much salt and flavoring you add.
Servings: 8 servings
- 280 grams ramen noodles (I use brown rice ramen noodles but you can use any ramen noodles that are vegan,
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp garlic paste (or 6-7 cloves garlic, crushed with the flat side of the knife and then thinly sliced)
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers (minced. Use less or more based on your heat preference. Deseed for less heat.
- 2 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp garam masala (or use Maggi Masala Magic spice blend if you can find that. In the U.S. you can buy it online)
- 1 to 2 tsp vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro or scallions (for garnish)
Optional veggies (chose one or two)
- 8 oz shelled edamame beans
- 1 medium zucchini (finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup green peas
Boil water in a pot to cook the noodles. Salt it. Once the water boils add the noodles and cook 2 minutes or until they are tender but just slightly undercooked. Drain in a colander and run cold water over the noodles to cool them slightly.
In a wok or large skillet heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and when they crackle, add to it the garlic and the green chili peppers. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes until the garlic turns a light blonde.
Add the tomatoes and any other veggies you are using. Stir fry until they begin to get tender, two to three minutes. Then add the garam masala and mix it in.
Add the cooked noodles and the vinegar to the wok and mix everything well. Stir fry, preferably with tongs, for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle on the cilantro or scallions.
Serve hot with soy sauce or tamari on the side.
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 398IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg