Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake
This vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake is creamy and melt-in-the-mouth smooth and running through it is an addictively sweet-tangy, gooey rhubarb and strawberry swirl. The recipe couldn't be easier, and you can also make it gluten-free.
Servings: 16 slices
Stand mixer or hand mixer
Saucepan for making swirl
Small oven-safe pan for water bath
9- or 10-inch springform pan
For the graham cracker crust
- 2½ cups graham crackers (break the crackers into small pieces and measure)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (softened, at room temperature)
- ¼ cup sugar
- A pinch salt
For the strawberry rhubarb swirl
- 3-4 cups rhubarb (cut into ½-inch dice and measure. You can use more or less, depending on how much of th e swirl you want flavoring the cheesecake. Four cups will make quite a lot)
- 1 cup strawberries (cut in ½-inch dice. Measure after cutting)
- ¾ cup sugar (you can use more of less of this based on how sweet you want the swirl to be. Rhubarb is quite tangy so keep that in mind)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the cream cheese filling
- 24 oz vegan cream cheese (I used 3 tubs of Tofutti)
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup Instant Pot Vegan Yogurt (alternatively use ½ cup of cashew pieces combined with ¼ cup water into a very thick, smooth cream)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
Make the crust
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the graham crackers in a food procesor with the butter and sugar and process until the mixture is sandy.
Press evenly into the bottom and slightly up the sides of a 9- or 10-inch springform pan. You don't have to butter or oil the pan first.
Make the strawberry rhubarb swirl
Place in a saucepan with sugar and a pinch of salt over medium-low heat. The rhubarb and strawberries will express a lot of their juices.
Continue to cook, stirring frequently (don't walk away) until the mixture becomes very thick, almost the consistency of jam. Stir in vanilla extract and turn off the heat. Set aside to cool.
Make the cheesecake batter
Place the vegan cream cheese in a stand mixer or food processor with sugar. Beat together until incorporated and smooth and then add the vegan yogurt, cornstarch, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
Put the cheesecake together
Pour half the cheesecake batter over the crust in the springform pan. Dollop half of the rhubarb strawberry swirl over the batter, then pour the remaining half of the cheesecake batter on top. Repeat with the rhubarb strawberry swirl mixture.
Run a knife through the rhubarb-strawberry mix to make a swirl pattern. Don't take the jam toward the edges as it could burn in the spots where it touches the metal of the springform pan.
Bake the cheesecake
Put a water bath in the oven--a pan filled with water and placed on the lower rack of the oven. Place the baking sheet with the springform pan on the middle rack and bake 60 minutes or until the cake has set but the center is still slightly jiggly.
Cool thoroughly on a rack. Run a knife along the edges of the cake, but don't unmold yet. Place it in the refrigerator for a few hours or preferably overnight. The next morning carefully remove the springform pan rim or collar, slice and eat.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 276mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg