Vegan One-Pot Pasta
This cheesy vegan one-pot pasta, packed with vegetables and protein, is SO good. Everything happens in one pan -- you saute the veggies, make the marinara, and then cook the pasta. And all it takes is around 30 minutes. The sauce is gluten-free and you can use gluten-free pasta, although you might need to tweak the time. You can also make this nut-free.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped)
- 14 oz vegan Italian sausage
- 28 oz San Marzano tomatoes (or any canned plum tomatoes. Crush the whole tomatoes with your fingers)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more if you like more heat)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (use 1 tablespoon if using fresh oregano)
- 1 teaspoon basil (use 1 tablespoon if using fresh basil)
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 oz gemelli pasta (or any short, sturdy pasta, including penne rigate or rigatoni)
- 2 tablespoons raw cashews (optional. Or use pumpkin seeds if nut-free, or skip)
- 8 oz vegan mozzarella shreds
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Make the optional cashew cream by blending the cashews (or pumpkin seeds with ¼ cup water). Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the garlic and saute until the garlic becomes very aromatic. Pay close attention and don't let the garlic burn.
Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot along with a bit of salt and ground black pepper and saute until the onions soften.
Add the vegan sausage to the pot and saute for a couple of minutes. Crush the whole tomatoes with your fingers and add to the pot along with the juice and half a cup of water.
Add the red pepper flakes, oregano and basil to the pot along with the tomato paste. Stir in and let the marinara sauce cook for 10 minutes until it's a bright orange.
Add the dry pasta to the pot. Check salt and add more if needed. The sauce should be slightly saltier than you would like the final dish to be
Stir in the pasta and then add 3 cups water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
Cover the pot and let the pasta cook 10-12 minutes or until it is al dente. Stir in the cashew cream, if using.
Sprinkle the cheese on top and place the lid back on. Set the heat to the lowest setting for two more minutes so the cheese melts.
Turn off heat and let the pasta stand, covered, for at least 10 more minutes. Garnish with parsley. Serve hot or warm.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1793IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg