Vegan Low Carb Cheesecake
This vegan Low Carb Cheesecake has a mere 8 grams of net carbs and 3 grams of sugar in each slice. It will satisfy every craving you ever had for a creamy, sweet but slightly tangy and absolutely delicious dessert. You can eat the cheesecake plain, and it's yummy that way, or you can top it with an optional but tasty strawberry topping that's super easy to put together (keep in mind the fruit in the topping will increase the net carbs in the cake). The cake is gluten-free.
Servings: 12 slices
For the crust
- 1½ cups pecans
- 2 tablespoon erythritol (or monk fruit sweetener or any keto sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
For the filling
- 24 oz vegan cream cheese (I used Tofutti)
- 1 cup vegan yogurt (I used my homemade Instant Pot cashew yogurt. Any thick yogurt would work here)
- 1½ cups erythritol (or monk fruit sweetener or any keto sweetener)
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon (optional, but the lemon juice and zest help cut through any aftertaste from the sweetener so I recommend using it. They also add a nice flavor to the cake.)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
Make the crust
Make the crust by placing all of the crust ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the pecans are ground into a coarse powder that clumps together.
Pour the pecans into an 8-inch springform pan. Using your fingers first, and then the bottom of a cup, pat the crust evenly into the bottom and slightly up the sides of the springform pan. Place the springform pan in the refrigerator.
Make the filling
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Position a rack in the middle of the oven for the cheesecake, and place a small pan filled with water in the bottom rack. This is a water bath and it will keep the cheesecake from developing cracks as it bakes.
Place the strained yogurt in a large bowl with the cream cheese and, using a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about a minute. Add in the sweetener, mix it in, then add the lemon juice and zest and vanilla, followed by the tapioca flour. Mix with the hand mixer or with a spatula until everything comes together.
Put the cheesecake together
Place the springform pan on a baking sheet. Pour the cheesecake filling into the crust in the springform pan. Bake for 1 hour and 35 minutes or until the top seems set and has browned. It will still be a bit jiggly but don't worry--it will continue to set as it cools.
Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven with the door cracked open for 30 more minutes.
Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it stand on a rack until cooled. Run a knife along the edges, then refrigerate overnight or for 8 hours before serving.
Make the optional strawberry topping
Place the strawberries in a saucepan along with ¼ cup water. Add the sweetener and heat over medium heat until the strawberries express their juices. Continue to cook over medium-low heat until the strawberries are really mushy--press down on some with a ladle to thicken the sauce while keeping some whole for a nicer presentation. Let most of the liquid evaporate.
Turn off the heat and stir in the pure vanilla extract.
Pour the cooled sauce over the cheesecake once it has cooled thoroughly and before refrigerating it.
- Nutrition info does not include the optional strawberry topping. Keep in mind it will add more carbs and calories to the cheesecake.
- The cheesecake will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. For longer storage, place the whole cake, or slices, in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months.
- You can use any other berry of your choice for the topping--blueberries or raspberries would both be great here. Or used mixed berries.
- Most of the juices in the topping should have evaporated before you add it to the cake. My topping was a bit too juicy--I'd recommend letting it go longer on the stove until most of the juices have evaporated. Make sure the topping cools thoroughly before you pour it on the cheesecake.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 236mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg