Easy Mushroom Stock
Put together this full-bodied mushroom stock with simple pantry ingredients in under five minutes of hands-on time and be rewarded with some of the tastiest soups, stews and sauces ever. The base recipe for this broth is very simple but very, very flavorful, and you can add in more ingredients if you like to make it even richer.
Servings: 4 cups
- ½ cup dried mushrooms (I used shiitake but any type of mushrooms work for this, including a mix. Don't discard the mushrooms after making the stock. You can use them in recipes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary (use 2 tablespoons if using fresh rosemary)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage (use 2 tablespoons if using fresh sage)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (use 1 tablespoon if using fresh thyme)
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
Place all the ingredients for the stock in a saucepan or saute pan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover the pan with a tight lid, lower heat to a simmer, and let the stock cook undisturbed for at least 30 minutes. You can even let it go longer if you have time, up to two hours.
Turn off the heat, strain and use.
- This recipe makes about four cups. You can easily scale it up for more mushroom stock you can refrigerate or freeze for later. Just use the servings slider in the recipe card below (hold your cursor on the number of servings) to scale the recipe.
- You can throw in a few optional ingredients into the stock, including ½ red or yellow onion, ½ carrot, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1 stalk celery and/or two cloves garlic.
- You can make this recipe with fresh mushrooms instead of dry. Use a cup of crimini, shiitake or chopped portobello mushrooms instead of the dry mushrooms and follow the rest of the instructions.
- The stock will keep in the fridge for up to four days. For longer storage you can freeze the stock in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Or pour into ice cube trays and freeze. Pop into your favorite recipes.
Calories: 21kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 51IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg