Black-Eyed Peas Slow Cooker Stew
A flavorful, delicious Crockpot Black-Eyed Peas Stew that's also free of any added fats, and is packed with sweet potatoes and carrots. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free recipe.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut in a 1/2-inch dice or thinly sliced in rounds
- 3 celery stalks, cut in a 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large bell pepper, cut in a 1/2-inch dice. I used green but you can use any color.
- 1 sweet potato, optional but very tasty, cut in a 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups black eyed peas, if using frozen, like I did, you can use these without any prep. If using dried, use 1 cup dried peas and soak overnight or at least 8 hours, then drain and rinse and cook until almost tender.
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried, crumbled sage
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnish
Place all the ingredients in a crockpot, add the stock and mix well.
Cover the crockpot and cook on a high setting for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours or until all the vegetables and black-eyed peas are tender.
Garnish with coriander and serve hot with brown rice, quinoa, or crusty whole wheat bread.