Easy Mung Sprouts Khichdi with Butternut Squash
An easy and healthful khichdi made with delicious mung bean sprouts and rice, with some butternut squash and spices like turmeric mixed in.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup dried mung beans (Soak the mung beans overnight, place them in a colander, cover and let them stand for two or three days until sprouts appear. Be sure to rinse the sprouts twice a day every day.)
- 1 cup basmati (Soak the rice for at least 20 minutes and drain before using.)
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small green chili pepper (like jalapeno or serrano, minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 1-inch stick cinnamon
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup butternut squash cubes (½ inch cubes)
In a large saucepan or in a pressure cooker, heat the oil.
Add the cumin, and as they begin to change color, add the green chili pepper and ginger-garlic paste, stir to mix, and add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, turmeric, and bay leaves.
Stir-fry the spices for a minute, then add the rice and the mung bean sprouts. Toss until the rice turns opaque, then add 3 cups of water, the butternut squash, and salt to taste. I usually add around 2 teaspoon of salt but let your tastebuds decide what's right for you.
If you are using a pressure cooker, at this point, put on the lid and pressure cook for two whistles. If using a pressure cooker that doesn't whistle, cook for six minutes after building up pressure.If cooking in a saucepan, wait for the water to boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and lower heat to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes and let the saucepan stand, without taking the lid off, for an additional 10 minutes. Then fluff the rice and sprouts with a fork.
If using a pressure cooker, after the pressure has dropped, open and fluff the khichdi using a fork.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 571mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2527IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 3mg