Savory Vegan Cucumber Pancakes
Vegan Cucumber Pancakes that are so light, fluffy, crispy and savory, with the freshness of cucumbers and mint. The pancakes make a delicious breakfast or snack. They are gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free, and they are incredibly easy to make with a one-bowl batter!
Servings: 6 servings (2 pancakes each)
- 3 medium cucumbers (grated on the large holes of a grater)
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 cups chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ red onion (minced or grated)
- 1-2 green chili peppers (like serrano or jalapeno, minced. Deseed for less heat)
- ¼ cup mint leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or cooking spray, for cooking the pancakes)
Place the grated cucumber in a bowl with all the juices and add the rest of the ingredients except the water. Mix well, then set aside for 10 minutes. This gives enough time for the cucumber to express its juices and give you an idea of how much water you need to add.
Slowly add in water as needed to make a pancake batter. You will likely not need much--I needed under ½ cup.
Heat a griddle on medium high heat. Coat the surface with vegetable oil and scoop out the pancakes on the griddle, using the bottom of the spoon or scoop to flatten the pancakes and shape them into rounds. I used a ⅓rd cup measure which gave me 12 pancakes.
When the edges sizzle and look golden, flip the pancakes and cook another minute or so.
Serve hot with vegan sour cream or a spicy chutney.
- Rice flour adds a nice crispiness to these pancakes but if you can't use it just add ½ cup more of chickpea flour.
- If you can't eat chickpea flour, you can use the batter for my moonglet recipe, made with mung beans, and add the cucumber and mint to it instead of the other vegetables and herbs. Or, if you can't eat any lentils, use 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup rice flour for the batter.
- Store the pancakes and not the batter, preferably. Make all the pancakes at once, then store in the fridge. Reheat on the griddle or in a toaster oven before serving.
For longer storage flash freeze and then store in a freezer-safe bag or container. Thaw and reheat on griddle or in toaster before serving.
Serving: 2cucumber pancakes | Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 509mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 169IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg