Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
These vegan sweet potato pancakes are wholegrain with the goodness of flax meal, oranges and sweet potatoes. It's the quintessential happy breakfast!
Servings: 8 servings of 2 pancakes each
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 2 small sweet potatoes (cooked and peeled. You can microwave them, roast them in an oven or boil them. Once cooked a fork or knife should be able to go cleanly through the thickest part of the sweet potato.)
- 1 orange (peeled, seeded and blended into a puree. Or use ¾ cup orange juice.)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 to 1½ cups oat milk (or any non-dairy milk or choice.)
Place the flour in a large bowl with baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and flax meal.
Peel and mash sweet potatoes in a small bowl with a fork or a masher. Small lumps are fine, don't leave any large lumps.
Stir in the orange juice, applesauce and 1 cup milk into the mashed sweet potato.
Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed together.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix just until the batter forms and there is no dry flour. If the batter appears dry, add more milk until it is thick but pourable.
Heat a non-stick griddle or cast-iron griddle and coat the bottom with oil or cooking spray. Use a ⅓ cup measure to form pancakes.
Flip the pancakes over when bubbles form toward the center and along the edges. Cook a minute or so more until cooked through. Serve hot.
Serving: 2pancakes | Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4746IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg