Vegan Apple Cake, whole wheat
A delicious, tender and moist -- even healthy -- vegan Apple Cake that's made with whole wheat. This makes a perfect snack or dessert. Vegan, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
Servings: 16 slices
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour (sub with half regular whole-wheat and half all-purpose if you can't find whole-wheat pastry flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon (I sometimes use a mix of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (if you want to cut down on this, substitute a quarter of the sugar with an equal amount of applesauce)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon flaxmeal (whisked with 6 tablespoon of water to make two flax "eggs")
- 1 cup walnuts , toasted lightly and chopped
- 2 ½ cups apples (About 1 ½ apples, finely chopped. I use Pink Lady or Granny Smith, but most apples would work)
For optional applesauce vanilla drizzle:
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
Beat together the oil, sugar and vanilla for about a minute to aerate.
Add the flaxmeal mixture, beat for a few more seconds to mix, and then add the flour mixture.
Stir with a spatula to get the ingredients well-mixed. The dough will be very stiff, but don't worry -- the apples will express juices as they bake. Add the apples and the walnuts and mix well.
Pour the batter into an 8-inch oiled and floured square pan (or use a round cake pan if that's what you have). To make the cake easier to unmold, line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and then oil and flour. (The first time I baked this cake years ago, I didn't take that extra step and unmolding this cake from the pan was a small battle.)
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes. Unmold and continue cooling.
Make the applesauce drizzle:
Whisk together all of the glaze ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle over the cake just before serving. (Adding the drizzle in advance will cause it to seep into the cake, making it more moist -- it will be totally delicious, but will get too tender.)
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 11IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg