Pasta with Vegan Chipotle Cashew Cream
A delectable and creamy vegan Pasta with a brilliant and delicious Chipotle Cashew Cream Sauce.
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews (soaked overnight or at least 8 hours)
- 1 chipotle chili (with 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce. Use more or less per your taste)
- 16 oz pasta (I used whole-wheat fusilli, but you can use any small pasta or even a ribbony one like fettuccine.) Cook al-dente according to package directions.
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes , sliced
- 8 oz button mushrooms , halved or quartered depending on their size
- 2-3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
To make the chipotle cashew cream, drain the cashews, then grind them up into a really smooth paste with the chipotle chili and adobo sauce and enough water. You can use the soaking liquid. Add a little water at a time. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil and add the onions. Sprinkle some salt and saute them for a few minutes until they are soft and transclucent but not brown.
Add the garlic, stir, and then add the tomatoes and the mushrooms. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and have broken down.
Add the cashew cream, mix together, and immediately add the pasta.
Stir well to coat the pasta with the sauce. If the pasta is too dry, add a cup or so of the pasta cooking water. Add salt to taste. Mix in the parsley.
You can add other veggies to this along with the tomatoes. Asparagus, broccoli and peas would all be great, and so would some scallions or green onions. You could saute leeks for an extra-special dish.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 519mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 543IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 3mg