Vegan Banana Muffins
Exploding with banana flavor and a hint of cinnamon, these vegan Banana Muffins will have you coming back for more, and then one more. They are whole wheat, with the goodness of flax and applesauce. Vegan, soy-free, nut-free, one-bowl recipe.
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or nutmeg or cardamom or cloves, or a combination of any)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses (optional)
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal (whisked with 4 tbsp water)
- 2 big bananas (or 2 ½ small bananas, overripe, mashed, around 1 cup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and oil a 12-cup muffin pan or line it with cupcake liners.
Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and nuts, if using.
To the bowl add the oil, sugar, applesauce, molasses if using, flax eggs, bananas and vanilla extract.
Mix with a spatula until all the wet ingredients are just moist. Do not overmix. The batter should be lumpy, like pancake batter, rather than smooth.
Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin tins.
Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out almost dry, with a few crumbs sticking to it.
Let cool for a couple of minutes before unmolding. They taste great warm or at room temperature.
- You can stir ¾ cup pecans or walnuts or chocolate chips into the batter, if you wish. Be sure to lightly roast the nuts and chop them.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 14g | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg