Moonglet, a vegan mung bean omelet
A moonglet is an easy Indian style vegan style omelet made with mung or moong lentils that you can easily whip up is about the time it might take you to crack an egg and whisk it up. But it's tastier, healthier, and you can pack it with all the veggies your heart desires. Also gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free.
Servings: 6 omelets
- 1 cup mung lentils (use the split lentils without skin on. Soak for at least half an hour or as long as overnight.)
- 2 tablespoon brown rice (optional. White rice works too. Soak the rice with the dal)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (crushed or minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- 2 green chili peppers (like jalapeno or serrano. Adjust up or down based on your tolerance for heat)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 1 cup mixed veggies (like minced onions, bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms or shredded spinach. Tomato's great too.)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Drain the lentils and rice, if using, then place them in the blender with the ginger, garlic, chili peppers, baking soda, if using, and salt to taste. Add water to blend into a smooth batter that's slightly runnier than a pancake batter would be but thicker than a crepe batter.
Place the griddle on medium high heat and brush on or spray on enough oil to coat the bottom. I use a six-inch cast iron griddle which gives me perfectly sized moonglets, but you can make these any size you want.
Pour in the batter to make a circle. If you use a six-inch pan, you can pick the griddle up carefully by the handle, using a mitt if you're using a cast iron pan, and swirl the batter around to ensure it spreads evenly (like you'd do for a crepe).
Sprinkle on any veggies you want. I used onions, bell peppers and scallions this time.
Let the moonglet cook until you can see the sides are dry and golden, about 2-3 minutes. Flip over and cook a couple more minutes. Serve hot.
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1553IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 3mg