Savory Vegan Corn Pudding Recipe
A savory, southern-style corn pudding with butternut squash and herbs is the perfect way to start your day--or end it. A vegan, gluten-free, nut-free recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 16 oz silken tofu
- ½ cup nondairy milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups corn kernels (frozen, thawed before using)
- 14.75 oz creamed corn
- 4 tbsp cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional. If your corn is already sweet, you can leave it out)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (smashed and finely chopped)
- 10 oz butternut squash (cubed. If using fresh, peel and then cube)
- 2 tbsp sage (chopped. 2 tsp if using dry)
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a two quart baking dish.
Blend the tofu with the nondairy milk and cornstarch and a dash of ground black pepper and salt until very smooth. Set aside.
Mix the cornmeal with the baking powder and sugar, if using.
In a skillet, heat the oil and add the onions and garlic. Saute until translucent, about five minutes.Add the butternut squash cubes, sage and parsley. Mix, cover, and cook another five minutes, stirring once or twice. Turn off heat.
To the skillet, add the blended tofu and the cornmeal mixture along with the can of creamed corn and the corn kernels. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Mix well with a spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven 80-90 minutes until the top is bubbly and puffy and appears set.
Cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 345mg | Potassium: 756mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 5289IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 2mg