VEGAN FRENCH FRY CASSEROLE
– 1 teaspoon vegetable oil – 1 medium onion – 4 cloves garlic – Vegetables: 2 stalks celery, 1 medium carrot, 1 sweet potato and 1 large bell pepper (any color). You can sub 16 oz of any frozen veggies you like instead. – 16 oz vegan "beef" – 2 teaspoon rosemary (or sage). – 1 teaspoon ground cumin – ¼ cup flour – 2 cups oat milk – Salt and ground black pepper – 20 oz frozen shoestring French fries
– Heat oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. – Add garlic and onions, celery and carrots. – Season with salt and ground black pepper, and cook over medium heat until soft but not brown.
– Add the sweet potatoes and stir in. Cover and let the sweet potatoes cook about 3-5 minutes until almost tender. – Stir in the bell peppers, cumin and rosemary (or sage) and saute another couple minutes. – Add the meatless beef to the skillet, breaking it up as you add it. Saute for a couple of minutes until it begins to brown.
– Add the flour to the skillet and mix well until the flour is absorbed by the veggies. – Add the oat milk and stir it in. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat. – Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
– Layer the frozen French fries over the creamy sauce. I put one layer down first and then another on top of that. The bottom layer soaks in the sauce and the top layer becomes crispy and golden-brown, offering a nice texture contrast.
– Place the skillet in a 350-degree oven and bake 1 hour. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Visit HolyCowVegan.net for more easy, tasty vegan recipes.