Smoky Roasted Eggplant Soup with Za'atar. Fat Free.
A smoky, delicious roasted eggplant soup flavored with the middle eastern spice mix, za'atar. This is a fat-free, gluten-free, vegan recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large eggplant, halved, placed skin side down on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and then roasted for 30 minutes in a 425 degree oven, or as long as it takes for a fork to pierce all the way through the center without any resistance.
- 2 medium white or yellow onions, chopped
- 6 cloves large of garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp roasted cumin seeds
- 3-6 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Optional ingredient:
- 2 tbsp cashews blended into a smooth cream with 1/4 cup of water.
In a pot, place the onions and the garlic with 1/4 cup of vegetable stock or water.
Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Scrape the flesh of the eggplant off the skin and chop into smaller bits. Add to the onions and garlic along with 2 cups of water or stock.
Add salt and ground black pepper to taste, cumin, and cayenne and stir in.
Turn off the heat. Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until very smooth. Add more water or stock if needed, and to adjust the thickness of the soup to your liking. Be very careful while handling very hot fluids. Wait for the soup to cook a little, if you'd rather.
Pour the blended soup back into the pot and stir in the lemon juice, za'atar and parsley. Heat through.
Pour into bowls and stir in some cashew cream into each bowl if using. Serve hot.
Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2.6g | Fiber: 5.8g | Sugar: 6.2g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.9mg