Black Eyed Peas Tikka Masala
A delicious and quick Black Eyed Peas Tikka Masala flecked with collard greens and sweet potatoes, to get the year off to the perfect and healthy start.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 -10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dry black eyed peas soaked for a few hours and rinsed (substitute with 3 cups canned peas)
- 1 tsp coconut or other vegetable oil
- 2 cups frozen collard greens or 4 cups fresh cut into thin strips
- 1 leave large sweet potato diced (you can the skin on or take it off-- the skin cooks up pretty soft and you keep in more nutrition)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/3 of this recipe of Tikka Masala Curry Paste
- 1/4 cup of cashews blended with 1/2 cup water into a smooth paste
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- leaves Coriander for garnish
If pressure cooking, place the black eyed peas and collard greens in the pressure cooker and cook until tender. Took me about 10 minutes on a medium-low flame after reaching pressure.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onions.
Saute until they begin to brown, about 3-5 minutes, then add in the sweet potatoes and some salt and stir well.
Cover and cook on a medium flame for about five minutes, then add the cooked black eyed peas and collards. If using spinach or another green, add now. Add the curry paste.
Stir well and add water if the mixture is too dry. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and let the masala cook about five minutes.
Check if the sweet potatoes are done. Add the cashew paste and salt to taste and stir well. Turn off the heat.
Stir in the lemon juice and coriander.
Serve hot with rice.